New openSUSE Build Service Interface

For some time now, I have been reviewing some of the interaction that one is to use when working with openSUSE's Build Service system. I believe it is one of the most useful tools that openSUSE has created because it encourages collaboration between programmers and users. It provides a powerful tool to package applications.

However, I have noted that the interface could be changed a little in order to reflect a more active form of interacting with one's package information. I created some preliminary and simple images that could potentially become what openSUSE Build Service could look like.

My emphasis is on at-a-glance information. Currently, as users enter OBS, they are greeted with little information about what they are working on and only see information about other packages being worked on . Probably this could change, focusing on what a particular user has on OBS is more important to that user than other packages from across OBS, which can come in second.

Current OBS home page:


And these are the ones I was thinking of. First a simple greeting page with a log in section, and also a movie that can explain in simple steps how to use the openSUSE Build Service.


Then we add a small and simple Log In popup window and we move into our page:

And finally we find ourselves on the page that can greet us with information at a glance. Obviously, this page could change, offering information bit that the users want rather than the default ones.
 
What do you think? I know there are things that can change and I would like to hear your opinion. Probably you users who take more advantage from OBS than I do have long desired to utilize OBS is different ways than the current one. 

To you, what would you like to see changed in OBS?

Andy


Written by

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little bit of criticism... Pictures you draw doesn't follow Bento theme. But that might be just that you didn't wanted to draw it everywhere. I don't like video on the first page. I would prefer video only when somebody asks for it. Two reason for that: not every browser out there is capable of html5 and video and if open webpage, I don't want it to produce sounds unless I ask for it (already happened to me that some page started speaking during my lectures in school). And the last thing: home screen after login looks like how your openSUSE Connect dashboard might look like ;-)

Unknown said...

Agreed, I would not have the video play unless the user clicks on it. Much like dropbox.com.

Unknown said...

History of user's action on main page does not seem so useful to me. I'd rather prefer to see "Proceed to: ..." toolbar with icons, as on current OBS mainpage.

Having a video on the front page has, indeed, as issue that video's don't always work. Still, I'd keep it there, it works for most users. And have a link easy to find to read/learn more but otherwise keep it clean.

Andy, what do you think about the graphs currently on the front page? It is more a bragging thing, ain't it? It tickles me, as geek, I'm unsure if it's good or not...

Keep this up, I like it, and hope the OBS team wants to work with you on this!

toddrme2178 said...

For something not directly related to the mockup: configuring services via the web interface is really hard. The interface doesn't tell you what you need to do, what the options are for, where to get help, and there are no clear instructions I can find on how to configure individual services. I think the web interface should walk you through the process of setting up the service step-by-step.

Unknown said...

Agreed! This is an initial mockup. I thought of creating a more complete one, step by step, but the way I see it, that would require OBS to get organized first. It does not seem to be well organized, so it was hard for me to figure out what to do first, or how to systematize the process.