Revolutionary Desktop Switching: An Analysis

This is an old favorite of mine. Here is the problem, switching desktops on a Linux machine with or without compiz is not intuitive. Why? because it is related to some window keys Ctrl+Alt+Right or Left Arrow, it is a secondary menu, or it depends on the mouse being at the corner of the window.

All of these ideas, while being well-intentioned, in nature, simply become annoying because they are hard to discover, they are somewhat hidden, and they tend to be not novice user friendly.

The other problem is that as people talk about being user-friendly, they generally say that they don't want Linux to be "dummed down," or made so simple that only stupid people can use. The fact of the matter is, though, that, in my view, no one should expect its Linux distribution to be a puzzle only solvable for the "smart" people that can figure out its tricks. In the scientific world there is the idea that the simplest answer to a question is always the right one. When many theories explain one phenomenon then they choose the simplest one to reveal its truthfulness.

This idea can also be applied to the desktop. In the desktop we have a few "theories" about how one should take use of virtual desktops.

Here are some of them:


This idea shows how compiz handles virtual desktops. You could assign a mouse gesture or a key combination to bring up the any virtual desktops you have at your disposal. It is very simple to use, but again, there are key combos to do and hot corners on the desktop to work with. It happens many times to people that use my laptop that they want to drive away the mouse pointer and end up hitting the hot corner which pans out showing you the desktops, then it's harder for them to figure out what happened and need a way to get back to that space.

Here is another one:


In this one, the panel has a square with many smaller squares which represent each virtual desktop. although this idea is simple and straightforward, I see some difficult things to deal with. One is, of course, size. Size is a problem since the space in a desktop screen is limited, and the space used by this applet (which also exists in KDE) is very reduced. You have to click right into that small section within the applet and then you will be able to switch between desktops. Very practical but too small.

This one is a little more complicated than the ones before (also part of extra functions on KDE windows)
Here you have to use the right button on your mouse to send the desired window into a different workspace. You have to choose which one and in some cases, you could even name them differently so they are easier to use. But who in the world does this? Who uses a secondary menu to send a window to an adjacent virtual desktop. No one. Instead, people often choose to clutter their current workspace and leave it as it is because it is less bothersome.

Then, what is the answer. I believe it starts with simplicity first. Using KDE current widget power, a set of arrows can be placed on the desktop to have users switch between them. I have seen KDE work really hard on creating widgets for the desktop but more often than not, I feel like KDE just found a way to clutter the desktop and think that it looks pretty. It is the same that happens with Opensuse, because this is something that they have not really thought about or wanted to change.

Here is a screenshot of my idea:

Why do I think that this is better? I think that being able to see where you could go is more simple than figuring out where to go, like the other models. This idea also resembles the way a book is viewed forward and backwards, page by page. In a book, for example, we realize that there is a numeric marker at the bottom, a page number, that tells us where we are, where we've come from and where we can go. With these arrows on the desktop, it is the same thing. We know where we are and can go wherever we want to. This idea could even be taken further and imitate another good idea from the land of Apple.

If you notice on the iPad book reader, there not only a page number but also a tracker in the middle that shows you how far you are into the book.

If my idea of desktop switching arrows is simple enough, then people also need to know where they are in their desktops, or how far are they into them.


So, tell me what you think...

Anditosan :D

Written by

21 comments:

Nick said...

took me a while to find where to post the comment, instead of clicking on how muc comments have been made make a sepreate link. :)

anyways, i think this is genius coz im really not likin making hotkeys for everything and its especially alien if ur on someone elses computer.

good job for mentioning this. :) im subscribing to your blog feed as well :)

Anonymous said...

No. Sorry, to stupid. I guess people will dislike arrows standing on their desktop. Plus is uses space usefull for other plasmoids. The idea of a simple, more straitforward desktop switcher is not bad, but need another implementation.

Unknown said...

i don't like it and here's why.. you have to scroll through the virtuals. in ubuntu I have 6 (dual screen) of these and click on whatever I want direct (no scrolling). not only that a small but usable feedback on the open windows is already displayed within each virtual. i can also move this applet to another panel so what I've done is to place this applet and the disk mounter applet on the same side panel. yeah they got it right (in my opinion). however different people do different things thus what works for me may not be suitable for you.

Anonymous said...

Look to Fluxbox, scroll through virtual windows using the wheel on the mouse

Unknown said...

This would be really easy to do as a wallpaper plugin or as a containment, with the benefit of those arrows not only always being properly positioned on screen but also staying out of the way of other widgets (e.g. you could cover them with Plasmoids temporarily if you wanted, etc.)

"Look to Fluxbox, scroll through virtual windows using the wheel on the mouse"

also available on KDE. the mouse actions in KDE SC >=4.4.0 are actually a lot more powerful than what you get with Fluxbox, et al.

Not sure I understand the problem fully. Is this designed for users who know nothing about virtual desktops or some other user.

Surely if virtual desktops are a "feature" then how to use them would be properly documented? Or is it about designing an intuitive way to use virtual desktops regardless of the target user?

Ivan Čukić said...

Ok, some nice ideas here, for some of the users. For me personally, not really appealing.

Problems as I see them:

- I don't care whether the next VD is on the left, right, up or down. So, in order to get from #1 to #3, in your case, I'd need to go through #2. Making key-shortcuts (Meta+1, ...) works for me perfectly

- Having controls like these on the desktop itself would mean that you can't use them when there are windows above.

- I don't really see how this reduces clutter

Unknown said...

The idea basically is for OpenSuse new users to feel at ease with the new KDE desktop. That the learning curve that they're experiencing becomes more intuitive and easy to work with. I think that your comments are great.

I believe that as you take widgets that do not do much for you off the desktop, you can leave some that will help you work with the desktop.

A friend that saw this also mentioned what Aaron said, that the arrows could be in the background of other widget. Let's say you have a dock-like bar at the bottom, you could use the extra space left on the bottom right and left to be the reserved area for the back and forth arrows between desktops. I guess, if you are a power user, you have no need of an implementation like this, because you can get to your desired VD faster through key combinations, etc. But for people who are learning, I think the comparison between a VD and the pages of a book will seem simple and fast enough to get around, let's say, just 4 desktops.

Elder Geek said...

The problem is most people do not know how to utilize virtual desktops as part of their workflow. I show people virtual desktop and they just don't know what to do with them.

My wife has been using Linux for 4 years now. She hates windows, complains whenever she has to use it. She knows how to use the pager, but she wont use the 2nd virtual desktop on her system. Why? Because she never runs more than 1 or 2 programs at a time. 3 programs feel to "complex" to her. Having some software on a 2nd desktop, yuk! Complex.

So far, I know 1 person out of 20 who has taken to using virtual desktops. So yes the following is true. 1) The way virtual desktops are manipulited, 80% of users will not realize they are there. 2) If they accidently flip dekstops they will not realize it has happend. 3) Even if proplery shown how to use them, the 20% of users that would know they are there, only 1% of them will find it useful.

I hate saying that, becuase I find these things really make me more prodcutive. This is from someone with stuff on all 4 desktops, with remote connections going into 4 other computers. In addition to this I am running fluxbox and routinely group windows. Then I use yakuake as a drop down teriminal, with several terminals open and each of those running screen with sereral screen sessions running. I boss says he has never seen anyone as productive as I am doing support work. With that being said, I still cant get him to use a virutal desktop.

Izo said...

The arrows are a good idea, but I'd be tempted to hide them until the cursor moves into their area.

/izo\

Unknown said...

I am not sure about the premise
of the blogs. I rarely use arrow
keys to switch desktop.
CTL+F# directly to the desktop number
is one of my thing. I also use my pager and my taskbar list all my windows so if I choose a window in another desktop I go there directly.
Am I too old at this game?

Anonymous said...

Aaron decided to implement it:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/07/todays-30-minute-hacks.html

I personally think it is a good idea - simple and understandable. Having a big pager widget on the desktop is not as easy, besides, it should probably be really big and show previews if it is to work... IOW me likes lots and lots ;-)

jzaz said...

that would be a good idea, but the user still needs to minimize the desktop to use the arrow icons.

personally i map the meta+tab key to switch to next desktop and meta+pgdn/pgup to move to next/previous desktop and it works pretty well :)

damian said...

It looks nice but when I switch desktops usually it means I have too many windows over it, so I want to switch to another one, and minimizing all of them it's not nice.
I agree that keyboard shorcuts are not user friendly.

Also in your mockup I can't see which windows are in each desktop (usually I don't want to change to desktop 3 I want to change to the desktop which has X window).

Maybe replacing hot corner with a button? this would be more user friendly, something like "desktop changer" or something.
Also there should be option for hot corner and shorcuts for more advanced users.

Anonymous said...

I use the Pager that ships with KDE on my desktop. It provides a visual layout of my virtual desktops and easy switching to any running applications. You can add the Pager and configure it to your liking. The Pager also allows you to move Windows from one desktop to another.

I've chosen to use ALT+TAB to reveal all Windows on All Desktops so I can get to any window that is covered. I'll admit, not a straightforward task to setup, but at least possible with some experimentation.

Ash said...

I use the "Present Windows" effect for Window Switching on my desktop and I have mapped it to Alt+Tab and Alt+Shit+Tab.

This visually shows all the windows on my desktop zoomed out accordingly that they fit. This basically solves my purpose of managing close to 30 - 40 windows at times too.

I've noticed that no one uses virtual desktops unless they have that many number of physical screens available.

Ash said...

Oh forgot to mention this effect is available with the KDE 4.x desktops and I know many are not aware of this....

Unknown said...

I agree with all of you guys here on this posting. I also think that using effects and things of the sort like key combos are definitively easier and sometimes faster. What my aim is though, is for novice users to realize that they can use virtual desktops. That once a space is filled with many windows, they can clear all out by going to the next one. I imagine someone discovering this feature as soon as they enter their desktop. If they do not like it, they can change it later. Aseigo applied the idea already and he made it so whenever there is a hot corner or edge, the arrows will show on top of the windows and the user will be able to switch desktops. Remember, novice users.

Anonymous said...

Well, you said that the desktop switcher applet is user-friendly, but it is too small. Well, let's make it big :) My idea is to add a new auto-hiding panel with a big desktop switcher. It has the drawback of still not being directly visible, but it's just an idea :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

dudu said...

I would really prefer a new openSuse installation with only 1 Desktop = the best for new Linux users and simple Linux users who run max 2-3 applications at once.



I think more desktops is really only for more advanced users. For simple users it is very confusing, maybe because they have only Windows experience.